I’m embarrassed that it was only two years ago I was questioning the relevance of Airbnb, and being remarkably short-sighted on the movement of a platform that has since come to dominate the vacation rental space.
I’ve just read ‘The Airbnb Story’ by Leigh Gallagher and enjoyed it immensely, learning about how Brian Chesky et al, got the company off the ground, more by luck than design. It was never expected to be the behemoth it’s become, and the story of investors who shied away from dropping their money into the ‘crazy idea’ has similarities to those publishers who rejected the original JK Rowling manuscript.
Airbnb are the platinum sponsors of the Vacation Rental Success Summit this year
In today’s episode, I talk to Andrea Diamond, who leads Airbnb regional operations in Central & Eastern Canada.
We also announce the final keynote speaker for VRSS17…so listen to the end!
- Andrea’s journey from being a host in Tel Aviv to regional manager for Airbnb Canada
- Why rural rentals are not a great change in the Airbnb model
- The importance of the host/guest relationship and how the platform encourages it
- Why reviews are so important to the success of a host
- Instant booking and why she wishes it was called something else
- The Trips concept and how they enhance the guest experience