My guest today took his interest and knowledge of real estate investment and has turned it into a vacation rental business. With three properties currently listed on Airbnb & VRBO Michael Hamilton was about to fly off to North Carolina to close on the fourth, when I was able to talk to him from his San Diego home.
Michael emailed me at the end of last year asking for some feedback on his listing text after he’d studied my ebook, Hypnotic Language for Vacation Rental Listings and Emails. I was interested in his choice of properties and by the way he was achieving such great results as evidenced by the Airbnb reviews.
He shares his strategies for purchasing new properties which includes his passion for surfing and the outdoors, balancing that against the economic factors of selecting a location.
This is a fascinating glimpse into the world of a practical vacation rental investor – one who has minimal emotional participation in the rental potential of a property, but rather sees it as a working entity.
In this interview Michael talks about:
- How his love of surfing drew him to the North Carolina coastal area
- The importance of growth indicators to location choice
- The Airbnb impact on bookings
- Creating transparency in listings
- What the About Us page does to increase interest
- Why he prefers a systems dependent business for managing multiple properties
- His 3 tips for anyone starting a similar business
Links mentioned in this episode:
Enjoyed this episode? Be sure to listen to Part 2 > VRS178